Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Stages of tech.

Am I at stage 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? 

                                
Henry Allport,4yr. old : Machine art!              
My reentry into the teaching profession in the public schools did not begin until the early 90's.At that point, I was a part time physical education teacher, traveling to three different schools, using only equipment available from the other teachers. The only technological piece of equipment we used were stop watches. As time has progressed, our district has provided all departments with laptops and cameras, updating our laptops every so many years, more recently being provided with ipads and the classroom teachers have smartboards. There has always been a variety of tech training for teachers. The relevance of the use of the technology in the special  areas such as  physical education has been more specific to the use by the teacher in how he or she  researches or presents a lesson or recording grades.  Some examples of this are using websites as resources for skill activity and game lessons. More recently, sharing youtube videos of specific sport skills and actively participating in DVD dance videos via the smart board, when available, have been an addition to the use of technology in phys. ed.
     From a professional standpoint, I have always been open to learning about technology as a tool for learning, making sure that it does not take away from the goals of physical education: to aid in  the physical and social emotional growth of students, at various ages, and encouraging children to integrate physical activity into their everyday lives in order to maintain a healthy way of living.
    It is my view that I do not fit into one stage of technology. I feel I fit into some of the categories of three of the stages. From adoption stage 2, I fit into the first description, that being I "adopt one or two tools that makes sense (usually personal productivity tools.)"  From adaptation #3, I "bought into technology, tried  some of it with students."  From Innovation stage 5,
"I am selective in the tech. choices I use in the classroom."  I hope to try to allow the students to use the tech. tools at some point this school year.  But the concern for time being taken away from being physically active to use a technology tool, such as the ipad, is a concern for me.  I am hoping that my colleague and I will find a solution and some lessons in which the student could be physically and technologically active.
    From a personal level, I am some where between categories in stage#3 and #5. Having used tools like ipad, the macbook, and the iphone for texting, photography, downloading music, audio messaging, face time and other apps, has brought me into a new dimension of tech use. And of course, all that I am trying to absorb from this course will bring me further in my tech. skills.

3 comments:

  1. Ruth, the other week you walked by in the library and were quickly utilizing the voice to text feature on your iPad--Brady and I were so impressed! I admire your open mindedness to technology and your strong beliefs about what's best for children in your class. The app I wanted to recommend is called Coach's Eye, check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the comment. I will be stopping by to talk to you about Coach's Eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the thoughtful reflection. There are a series of apps available in regards to fitness and nutrition. Maybe at some point you'll find a way to incorporate such tools in your lessons. Until then it's great that you are open to learning about new technologies.

    ReplyDelete